- Assistant Director, Rotman Research Institute , Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 2010 – present
- Professor, Psychology, University of Toronto 2006-present
- Scientist, Rotman Research Institute, Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 1996 – present
- Associate Editor Distinction Award, Public Library of Sciences: One, 2011; Brain Topography, 2013
- Premier Research Excellence Award, Research award, Ontario Government, 2001-2006, $150,000
- Scholarship Research Award, Canadian Institute for Health Research, 2000-2005, $275,000
- The role of oscillatory brain networks in understanding age-related decline in speech perception, (CIHR) $996,675 Co-applicant with Bernhard Ross, Principal 2012-2017
- Neuroimaging studies of auditory perception and attention (NSERC) Principal Applicant $250,000 2011-2016
- Aging and the neural architecture supporting the perceptual organization of speech (CIHR) Principal Applicant $787,640 2010-2015
- Diffuse brain damage effects on distributed multimodal brain imaging and rehabilitation. (CIHR) Co-Applicant, $853,770 2010-2015
- Alain, C., Zendel, B.R., Hutka, S., & Bidelman, G.M. (2013, Invited). Turning down the noise: The benefit of musical training on the aging auditory brain. Hearing Research. org/10.1016/j.heares.2013.06.008.
- Bidelman, G.M., Moreno, S., & Alain, C. (2013). Tracing the emergence of speech perception in the human auditory system. NeuroImage, 79, 201-212. doi:1016/j.neuroimage.2013.04.093.
- Zendel, B.R., & Alain, C. (2013). Enhanced attention-dependent activity in the auditory cortex of older musicians. Neurobiology of Aging. doi:1016/j.neurobiolaging.2013.06.022
- Zendel, B.R., & Alain, C. (2013). The influence of lifelong musicianship on neurophysiological measures of concurrent sound segregation. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 25(4), 503-516. doi:10.1162/jocn_a_00329.
- Alain C., McDonald, K.L., & Van Roon, P. (2012). Effects of age and background noise on processing a mistuned harmonic in an otherwise periodic complex sound. Hearing Research, 283, 126-135.
- Backer, K.C. & Alain, C. (2012). Orienting attention to sound object representations attenuates change deafness. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 38(6), 1554-1566. doi:10.1037/a0027858.
- Zendel, B.R., & Alain, C. (2012). Musicians experience less age-related decline in auditory perception. Psychology and Aging, 27, 410-417. doi:2011-20240-001 10.1037/a0024816.
- Alain, C., Campeanu, S., & Tremblay, K.L. (2010). Changes in sensory evoked responses coincide with rapid improvement in speech identification performance. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 22, 392-403.