- Associate Professor, Dept of Psychology, Ryerson University
- Director, Science of Music, Auditory Research and Technology Lab, a leading research group (of 15+ members) investigating questions at the intersection of music, mind and technology.
- Internationally recognized expert on multimodal aspects of music and vocal-emotional communication.
- Early Career Awards, Ministry of Research and Innovation; Canadian Society for Brain Behavior and Cognitive Science.
- Advancement of a software application suite for music analysis and generation informed by music cognition research. Russo, F. A. (PI); NSERC (CRD), $194,666 (2012-14).
- A novel singing therapy to improve communication of facial and vocal emotion. Russo, F. A. (PI), van Lieshout, P. & Wong, W.; Parkinson’s Canada, $45,000 (2012-13).
- Joint roles of movement and simulation in vocal-emotional communication. Russo, F. A. (PI); NSERC (Discovery), $235,000 (2012-17).
- Enhancing perception of music in deaf and hard of hearing populations. Russo, F. A. (PI); Ministry of Research and Innovation, $150,000 (2011-16).
- Improving musical mood induction. Russo, F. A. (PI); SSHRC (Insight), $74,920 (2011-13).
- Advancing Interdisciplinary Research in Singing. Cohen, A. (PI), Russo, F. A. (CI), & 25 others (CI’s); SSHRC (MCRI), $2,498,500 (2009-16).
- Russo, F. A., Vempala, N., & Sandstrom, G. M. (2013). Predicting musically induced emotions from physiological inputs: Linear and neural network models. Frontiers in Psychology. 4:468, DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00468
- Ammirante, P., Russo, F. A., Good, A., & Fels, D. I. (2013). Feeling voices. PloS ONE, 8, e53585
- Russo, F. A., Ammirante, P. & Fels, D. I. (2012). Vibrotactile discrimination of musical timbre. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perc. and Performance, 38, 822-826.
- McGarry, L. M., Russo, F. A., Schalles, M., & Pineda, J. A. (2012). Audio-visual facilitation of the mu wave. Experimental Brain Research, 218, 527-538
- Russo, F. A., Ives, T., Goy, H., Pichora-Fuller, M. K., & Patterson, R. (2012). Age-related difference in melodic pitch perception is probably mediated by temporal processing: Empirical and computational evidence. Ear and Hearing, 32, 177–186
- Tierney, A., Russo, F. A., & Patel, A. D. (2011). The motor origins of human and avian song structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) of the United States of America, 108, 15510-15515.
- Sandstrom, G.M., & Russo, F. A. (2010). Music hath charms: The effects of valence and arousal on the regulation of stress. Music and Medicine, 2, 137-143.