- Associate Professor, Kinesiology and Physical Education, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Director, Sun Life Movement Disorders Research and Rehabilitation Centre
- Canada’s Representative and Author, Movement Disorders Society – International Task Force on Rating Scales for Gait, Balance and Falls in Parkinson’s Disease. (since 2011)
- Invited Parkinson’s representative (Lead Author on Parkinson’s Recommendations), International Consensus Committee on Exercise Prescription for Prominent Chronic Conditions (since 2012)
- 2010-2015 Canadian Fund for Innovation Grant “Development of the Movement Disorders Research & Rehabilitation Centre” ($2,100,000/ 5 years including matching funds). PI: Almeida. Principle Users: Stewart, D., Kalmar, J., Tiidus, P.,Bryden, P.Cinelli, M., Perry, S.
- 2012-2015 Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) Grant: “Evaluating cognitive aspects of locomotion and rehabilitation in Parkinson’s ($300,00/3 years)
- disease” # 483715/2011-5 ($350,000/3years) PI: Gobbi, L, Co-Investigators: Almeida
- 2011-2012 Canadian Institutes of Health Research Planning Grant “International Consensus on Exercise Prescription for Prominent Chronic Conditions: Recommendations and Guidelines” ($25,000 with additional $25,000 match from Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology). PI: S. Bredin, Co-Applicants: Almeida, P. Chillibeck, N. Eves, J. Goodman, P., V. Jamnik,
- Katzmarzyk, M. Pang, M. Riddell, R. Shephard, J. Stone, S. Thomas, D. Warburton.
- 2010-2011 Schering-Plough / Merck Pharmaceuticals Clinical Trial Grant Clinical Trial “A Phase 3, Active-Controlled, Double-Blind, Double Dummy Extension Study in Parkinson’s Subjects with moderate to Severe Parkinson’s Disease (Protocol No. P06153) ($254,000 for our site) Site Co PI: Almeida, with D. Stewart
- 2007-2010 Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada -NSERC ($51,000/3 years) Grant: “Mechanisms of Basal Ganglia Involvement in Sensory Processes” PI: Almeida
- Ehgoetz-Martens, K., Almeida, Q.J. (2012) Dissociating between sensory and perceptual deficits in Parkinson’s disease: More than simply a motor deficit. Movement Disorders.27(3):387-392.
- Knobl, P., Kielstra, L., Almeida, Q.J. (2011) The relationship between motor planning and freezing of gait in Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry. 83:98-101.
- Tan, T, Almeida, Q.J., *Rahimi, F. (2011) Proprioceptive deficits in Parkinson’s disease patients with freezing of gait. Neuroscience 192:746-752.
- Brown, M.J.N., Almeida, Q.J. (2011) Evaluating dopaminergic system contributions to cued pattern switching during bimanual coordination. European Journal of Neuroscience 34(4):632-640.
- King, L., Almeida, Q.J., Ahonen, H. (2009) Short-term Influences of Vibration Therapy on Motor Impairments in Parkinson’s Disease. Neurorehabilitation 25(4):297-306.